WHEN the Tidy Town judges visited Murrurundi, they were impressed by the town’s great community spirit in a time of adversity and at the awards held on Saturday night in Cessnock, awarded the town the Most Sustainable Regional Community for 2019.
The organisers said, “Murrurundi punched above its weight and showed what a small town could do when its community worked together.”
Cr Joshua Brown, who accepted the award said it was a great honour for the town to be recognised as the best in new South Wales.
“The primary reason the judges assessed Murrurundi as the best in the whole of the state is because of the way our community sticks together, supports each other and remains so positive,” said Cr Josh Brown, who attended the Awards Dinner and accepted the award along with Jenny Loasby (100 Mile Dinner), Justine Cooper (Doing it for our Farmers) and Heather Ranclaud (Upper Hunter Shire Council),” said Cr Brown.
“There are many people in our community who have worked tirelessly for this award and I thank them all. I wish to particularly thank Justine Cooper and her team at Doing it for Our Farmers, and Heather Ranclaud at Upper Hunter Shire Council, for all they have done to make this award possible,” Cr Joshua Brown said.
Murrurundi will be representing New South Wales at the national awards to be held in Alice Springs in 2020 and will host next year’s awards.
Other awards for organisations and towns in the Upper Hunter Shire included:
- WINNER – Environmental Communication Award – Population Category A – 100 Mile Dinner – Murrurundi
- WINNER – Environmental Communication Award – Population Category E – Cool Connections for Our Rural Community – Upper Hunter LGA
- WINNER – Return and Earn Litter Prevention Award – Population Category B – Beverages for Benefits – Scone Public School
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Community Spirit and Inclusion Award – Population Category A – Bugger the Drought – Merriwa
- WINNER – Community Spirit and Inclusion Award – Population Category B – Doing it for our Farmers – Murrurundi
- WINNER – Community Spirit and Inclusion Award – Population Category E – We Live Here – Upper Hunter LGA
- WINNER – Sustainable Communities Tidy Towns Award – Population Category A – Murrurundi