COVID-19: NSW to Remain on Alert

Filed in Recent News by August 17, 2020

NEW South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian is anxious about the number of COVID-19 cases with unknown sources in the state.

Only seven new cases were recorded in NSW today, six of which are from local transmission.

Although case numbers have declined since last week, the Premier advised NSW residents to remain vigilant in checking for COVID-19 symptoms to avoid an increase in community transmission. 

“Can I stress in particular, we remain concerned about potential undetected strains of coronavirus in South Western and Western Sydney,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“Whilst the case numbers have pleasingly been declining, my anxiety remains the same, if not slightly higher, because every week we’ve had an accumulation of undetected or unsourced cases,” she said.

“If you look back to Melbourne, Melbourne didn’t get worse because of the number of cases they had,” she said.

“They had undetected community transmission, which then unknowingly got to a stage where it did form a number of different clusters and we certainly don’t want that to happen in New South Wales,” said the Premier.

Tight restrictions on the Victorian border will remain in place and for the next month, the NSW government will be waiving hotel quarantine fees for residents returning from Victoria.

For the latest COVID-19 health alerts, case locations and hotspot areas click here.

NSW cases over the past week

 

Tags: , ,

Copyright 2020 © Wavelength Group Pty Ltd.    
Site map protected by patent. All rights reserved. Sitemap Terms and Conditions
Website by Delta Web